What is an Independent contractor agreement?
An Independent Contractor Agreement is a written contract between a professional service provider and a client that describes certain details that need to be agreed upon before work commences. As a result, some of the common details that are included in an independent contractor agreement include:
- The services that are being provided
- The contractor’s and client’s business and contact information
- Billing details (such as hourly rates, retainer fees, late fees, and payment dates)
- Other terms including the contract period or claims to intellectual property.
Time to download – and handle compliance with ease, everytime
Creating an Independent contractor agreement is one of the more time-consuming aspects of the HR function. Therefore many business owners and professionals ask the question, “Is it accurate?” “Does it comply with a maze of law and compliance?” “Has an important clause been missed?” Errr!
Because of this, Worknice has surfaced a range of downloadable sample employment contracts for you to use – Created by Source HR.
Download contracts now
Need more than an independent contractor agreement template?
Templates a good, but they don’t harness the power of modern HR technology like Worknice. For example, Worknice eliminates the stress of compliance by reducing manual admin and streamlining process.
Ditch the paper and pdf forms, email chains, and the hours of admin time with Worknice.
These document, plus 100’s more, are available and ready as smart docs for you to edit and deploy digitally to new hires and existing employees. Track signature acceptance, automatically follow up non-compliance and more!
What types of independent contractor agreements are available to download?
- Independent contractor agreement (sole trader)
- Independent contractor agreement (Pty Ltd company)
- 1-page independent contractor agreement
What are alternate names of an independent contractor agreement?
There are quite a number of varying names used interchangeably for the independent contractor agreement and all of them essentially mean the same thing. For instance:
- Consulting Agreement
- Consultant Contract
- Freelance Contract
- Service Agreement
- Finally, Subcontractor Agreement
Who can use an Independent Contractor Agreement?
You can use Worknice’s independent contractor agreement templates if you are a contractor, subcontractor, or client who wants to document the terms of an engagement.
An independent contractor: An independent contractor, otherwise known as a freelancer or consultant, is a business or self-employed individual that provides services as required by a client in exchange for payment.
A subcontractor: A subcontractor is an independent contractor hired by another independent contractor to help complete a project, often to perform a discrete or specialised task.
A client: A client is the business that is hiring and paying for services provided by the contractor.
What is the difference between an employee and an independent contractor?
An employee and an independent contractor are both paid for their service, however there are some key differences between the two. As a result we will touch on those differences below, which include taxes and superannuation, rights, responsibilities, payment terms, and the duration of employment.
- Taxes and superannuation: income tax is deducted from an employee’s wage, and the employer also contributes to a superannuation fund for the employee
- Rights: entitled to pay obligations such as paid leave, minimum wage, and more
- Responsibilities: typically works a set number of hours and uses tools/equipment supplied by the employer
- Payment terms: paid a set wage at regular intervals (weekly, fortnightly, or monthly)
- Duration of employment: has indefinite employment status, whether full-time or part-time
- Taxes and superannuation: typically pays their own taxes, GST, and superannuation, unless otherwise specified in an agreement
- Rights: not entitled to paid leave or minimum wage (unless established in an agreement), but is paid an hourly rate or flat fee
- Responsibilities: decides how many hours are required to complete the job and uses their own tools/equipment
- Payment terms: establishes payment amount, method, and dates with an agreement
- Duration of employment: hired for a set time period.
Ditch the PDFs! Manage your independent contractor agreement templates in Worknice
Sure you can download these templates, but wouldn’t you prefer to set them up once, do it right, and layer on process so you don’t have to worry about it again? Get Worknice!
Streamline the onboarding process
- E-signature – Send contracts, offers, and documentation for review and sign off.
- Automate the day one set up – trigger actions upon contract sign-off
- Smart docs – add in dynamic fields so there is no manual data input for information like [first name] or [position]
Create an exceptional first impression to new starters
- 100% convenience – Mobile-first, amazing UI, and everything new hires need in the one spot.
Ensure compliance with our smart form library
- Smart, compliant contracts out of the box – choose from a pre-populated library or create something new.
- Automated tasks – ensure compliance activities get done.